Friday, October 29, 2010

Cold weather and leg pain -- connected?

It's a curious thing.  When I was younger, I always heard people say, "my leg hurts, I guess it's going to snow," or "I can tell by the pain in my back that rain is coming."  I always thought it was the whining of the elderly -- that it was their imagination, or even their way of holding over us  younger folk that we needed to do more, because they were in pain.
I'm not that old.  I'm 38.  My leg is killing me -- and it's almost always worse when it's cool or when it's damp.  I find myself stumped by this for two reasons.  First -- how does that even happen?  How can a body part predict weather -- I totally new it was going to storm the other day -- it was weird.  The other thing is, I LOVE snow and when I finish college, I have dreamed of moving to some place like Vermont or Wisconsin and getting me a nice little place with a fireplace, where I can come home and stare at the snow for hours.  Do I need to sacrifice my dream for comfort, or will I, in fact, learn to live with the pain? 
I was born in Pennsylvania, and we used to get pretty good snows there.  I'd say they still do, but it seems like it is less and less every year.  I lived in California for several years and really loved it there, but of course, I had to give up on the snow.  Here in Tennessee, we get flurries, and occasionally as much as an inch, but it's gone the next day.  I want to live somewhere where it REALLY snows.  Like - the kind of snow where everyone telecommutes on bad days, and you buy groceries for a month at a time because you don't know when you'll get out again.
It is the end of October here in Tennessee.  The leaves are beautiful, but we still have plants flowering.  A few days ago, we hit a record high of 83.  My guess (and fear) is that we won't have much of a winter this year. I guess I should be grateful, because maybe my leg will hurt less.  Anyway -- I just though I would share the fact that temperature and weather really does make a difference -- people can act as human barometers. 
Time to continue on the journey -- see ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment